A Certified Irrigation Contractor is committed to managing water application to the landscape effectively and efficiently. CIC’s are committed to keeping current with the latest techniques and technology. And committed to investing in themselves by upgrading their knowledge and skills.
When you hire an IA certified contractor, you’re hiring someone with experience and in-depth industry knowledge who has passed rigorous testing. An IA Certified Irrigation Contractor (CIC) is an irrigation professional whose primary business is to install, repair and maintain irrigation systems – according to the specifications and requirements of the project contract. Certification validates knowledge and skills. IA certifications were designed by irrigation professionals committed to establishing a program that would provide consistent, high standards industry-wide.
Certified irrigation contractors install, maintain and repair irrigation systems which includes:
- Executing irrigation projects to meet all local specifications and requirements.
- Preparation of installation sites, including layout, staking, excavation, boring, trenching, grading and back-filling.
- Cutting and joining pipe, knowing the limitations of different piping systems, and understanding basic hydraulics.
- Lay out and installation of piping and water delivery components; backflow prevention components; mechanical, hydraulic and electrical irrigation controls; and other irrigation system components.
- Troubleshooting and repair of irrigation components and systems.
- Understanding and following good business practices; construction contracts and their legal rights and obligations; and licensing laws and codes.
Certified irrigation contractors must:
- Demonstrate a minimum of three years of irrigation-related experience and education.
- Pass a written exam on general irrigation and specialty topics.
- Agree to follow the Code of Ethics established by the IA Certification Board.
- All CICs must submit 20 continuing education units per 2-year cycle to remain in good standing.